Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Second Line for Robbie Shakespeare By Shelah Moody

 

Seemed all one mutual cry. I never heard

“The skies, the mountains, every region near

So musical a discord, such sweet thunder.”

—William Shakespeare 


                                               Robert Warren Dale Shakespeare


 Like the British poet and playwright who bears the iconic last name, Robbie Shakespeare was a genius. His stories were not built with words or pentameter; he used notes, chords, and melodies to speak volumes and shape popular music.

         On Dec. 8, 2021, Robert Warren Dale Shakespeare, better known as half of the Grammy-winning drum and bass duo Sly and Robbie, died from complications caused by kidney failure. He was 68. To say that his death created a void in the music industry spoke volumes. 

      Robbie Shakespeare and his drummer partner Sly Dunbar formed Sly and Robbie in the early seventies in Kingston; JA. Pioneers in the roots reggae, disco, digital, and dancehall age, they performed on thousands of recordings and built riddims for Black Uhuru, Mighty Diamonds, Chaka Demus, and Pliers, Grace Jones, Mick Jagger, No Doubt, and more.

       Crossover reggae dancehall artist and Grammy winner, Shaggy posted a black square on his Instagram account after hearing the news.

        “R.I.P. Not a good day.” Shaggy wrote.

       Throughout his career, Shaggy collaborated with Sly and Robbie on many projects, including “Shaggy and Friends” and “Out of Many, One Music.”

      Oddly, there were no posts by Gwen Stefani, who collaborated with Sly and Robbie with No Doubt to produce their 2001 album “Rock Steady.”

    British rock star Sting posted a clip of him and Shaggy jamming in the studio with Shakespeare.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXP6hBAlqRW/?utm_medium=copy_link

    “We lost another giant today. #robbieshakespere,” Sting wrote.

    “Da One Ya heavvyyy!,” Grammy-nominated reggae artist Jesse Royal posted on Instagram.

   “Gratitude for the work, yes but also all the words of encouragement and the advice that u didn't have to share but always made it a point to do. The insight that I will never

overlook!!! Rest In Power Unks! The Word "Great" can't even truly define u!!! Jah Jah!

#RobbieShakespeare #Godly #Bass.”

       Heavy hitters Morgan Heritage also honored Shakespeare’s legacy in an Instagram post:

     “This loss is truly unexpected. Thank you for your greatness and your contribution to Reggae music. We'll never forget how you and Sly

opened your arms to us back in 1992 and continued to be instrumental throughout our career. May your legacy live on forever. #RIP Robbie.”

      

“Sheeeelah! I’ll never do another interview with you again!” 

   I was the press tent coordinator at the Monterey Bay Reggaefest one year, and Sly and Robbie were headliners.

       I’d convinced the loquacious Sly and the normal media-shy Robbie: to pop into the press tent for about five minutes and take questions from the grassroots press. 

       As it turned out, there were so many questions for the famed duo that they ended up in the press tent for nearly an hour. Robbie obviously had other places to go! 

          Another funny story about Robbie took place in Golden Gate Park at Michael Franti’s annual Power to the Peaceful Festival. 

   At the time,  I didn’t think Robbie even remembered my name; so I was surprised when he called me over as I was walking through the backstage area. 

    What he wanted to tell me was that one of the cats in his band dug me. I laughed and told him thanks but I dug someone else. Robbie laughed; his laughter was robust.

   I always thought of Robbie as round; robust; round sound on the bass; robust lifestyle. Robust appetite. Once I saw him sitting in Popeyes’s chicken before a gig at the Independent in SF. I did not bother him. 

    Over the years, I’d follow Sly and Robbie on tour with special guests such as Cherine Anderson, Mykal Rose, and Bitty McLean. The last time I saw Robbie was at the Sweetwater Cafe in Marin and he gave me the biggest hug and then he was gone. During the show; I noticed that Robbie was maybe not feeling his best; because he was sitting down while playing the bass. 

     I had a bad feeling when Robbie was absent from Sly and Robbie’s 2019 gig at the Longboard Margarita Bar in Pacifica, CA, that something was wrong. Famed Jamaican musician Lloyd Parks performed in his place.

     Right now, my prayers go out to Robbie’s family and his longtime musical partner, Sly Dunbar. Let us embrace Sly and give Sly his flowers while he’s still alive. May we continue to support artists of this caliber and continue to support their music.

     Such sweet thunder.



No comments:

Post a Comment